Great Spring Cleaning and Organisational Tips from Swift Home Services.
As an expert in residential cleaning, we know that it’s always easier to clean your house when you have tidied and de-cluttered before you dust and vacuum.
But when you’re spring cleaning you can take this cleaning rule-of-thumb a few steps further. It’s actually a great opportunity to pack up and donate items you no longer need or want.
- Sort things out. Start by getting three boxes and labelling them: ‘Keep’, ‘Donate’, and ‘Dispose’. As you sort through your cupboards, closets and wardrobes, keep these boxes nearby and place unnecessary items in the corresponding box.
- A Good rule of thumb – If its not been used for 12 months it may be time to dispose of.
- Sort through your winter clothes and pack them away for storage. You’ll have so much new space in the cupboards, closets and wardrobes once you’ve packed away your jackets & sweaters, etc.
- Go through the food cupboards and dispose of anything that is past its expiry date.
- Move on to the fridge and look for items that have expired over the months. It’s time to make room for fresh, local produce.
- If white bedding and towels are looking a bit greyand tired, put them in the washing machine and add a brightening agent (natural brighteners include lemon juice and white vinegar). Also, dry whites outside in the sun for extra whitening. This is a refreshing way to breathe new life into pasty-looking whites.
- Attack the toy collection if you’ve got one – sometimes toys can take over a home! Consider investing in some storage containers – perhaps one in the childrens’ play room and one in their bedroom – to help make it easier to keep the house tidy. (Having specific storage containers for toys will teach children to help keep the house tidy by putting their toys away.)
- Wash vases in hot soapy water, or update your collection with some new ones, then fill your home with refreshing flowers for an instant lift.
- Print those photos of your family and friends that you’ve flagged on your computer, and update your frames with these recent pictures. Or, have some photos enlarged or printed in black and white, put them in frames, and voila, you have some new artwork for those bare walls you’ve been meaning to fill. Best of all, they’re homemade!